My current goal is to visit as many teachers as I can for the rest of my career to spread the best practices of math teaching. I will leave classroom teaching in May 2022 to become a full-time teacher trainer.
BS in Electrical Engineering – (May 1985), The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina
MS in Electrical Engineering (with Space Systems Engineering) (May 1991), Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA
Transition to Teacher (May 2005), Indiana Wesleyan University (Math, Physics, Earth Science)
United States Naval Officer (May 1985 – Jan 1996)
- Unrestricted Line Officer, Chief Engineer of USS Sample (FF1048)
- Project Manager for Aircraft Carrier Overhauls, Philadelphia Naval Shipyard
- Manager of US Navy’s Fiber Optics and Networking Group, Philadelphia
Information Technology Systems Engineer/Project Manager (Jan 1996 – Apr 1998) CACI Consulting Firm
- UNIX and Microsoft System Administrator
- Cisco Network Engineer
IT Infrastructure Manager and Project Manager (Apr 1998 – Aug 2004) Indianapolis Star
- Manager of all IT and Phone systems. Elevated department to #1 in Gannett Newspapers.
Math/Science Teacher, Assistant Music Director, Math Division Chair (Aug 2004 – June 2012) Scecina Memorial High School
- Elevated Math Scores from 65th to 100th percentile.
- Taught all Math Classes, Physics and Earth Science (Including AP Statistics and AP Calculus)
- Began the Academic Super Bowl program which grew to include nearly a third of all students.
- Started the only High School Rock Band program in the state.
IB Math and Science Teacher (July 2012– Present) Gambold Prep High School/Shortridge IB High School
- First math teacher in a new International Baccalaureate school. (The first all IB inner city public high school in the United States.) Taught all levels of MYP and Diploma Program (DP) mathematics and DP Physics.
- Selected by TeachPlus as a Change Agent Teacher Leader and later as a mentor for new teacher leaders
- Completed a one year TeachPlus policy fellowship
- Speaker at District, Statewide and Regional Mathematics Conferences
- Participated in numerous district boards to develop math curriculum and select textbooks and resources.
Middle School math teacher and math Instructional Coach
- Taught project-based middle school and high school level classes to 6th grade through 8th grade students.
- Coached elementary level Teachers in Math Education fundamentals and methods
- Interventionist and small group teacher for 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th grade students.
- Licensed to teach Secondary Math, Physics and Earth/Space Science
- Professional Musician (Trombone, Guitar and Singer/Songwriter)
- Experience directing bands and choirs
- Many years of experience in Personnel and Project Management
- Trained as an International Baccalaureate teacher (MYP and DP)
- Expert in Mathematical Modeling Methods and Mathematical Mindsets.
- Expert in Mathematics Education methods and concepts